Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Frugal Fun: Cherry Picking Day

This weekend we carpooled with a cousin of BEB and went Cherry picking to Brentwood. It was about an hour long drive from our place. Since I am a huge fan of cherries, so much so that I wait the whole year for the red roundels to show up in the aisles. I have made it plain and clear to BEB that whatever happens we'll go cherry picking when the season comes. So despite having been jet-lagged from India trip, we still went ahead with this outing. Initial plan was to go after having breakfast and eating out on our way back. But thanks to the jet-lag I was up at 4:00 am and since BEB was in a super excited mode, he freed up a lot of time for me and I could fix decent lunch for the four of us. I guess we saved at least 20$ by getting our own lunch. Not to mention the convenience of having food at hand when we were hungry.

It was hot out there and at the end of the day it was exhausting. But with the cherries we ate there and the bucketful that we got for home it was well worth it. I have been eating cherries non-stop ever since. The best part was that we got so many cherries for such a discounted price. The cousin commented that we are buying too many to eat before they will turn bad, little did he know about the die hard cherry eater in this household. Its been about 3 days and the 15 lbs. box is already showing signs of running out very soon. So what I'm doing besides eating them lovelies? I'm trying to plan how soon can we go again to get one more of those boxes :D

No comments: