Saturday, February 16, 2008

My Frugal Ideas

  1. Make our own organic fertilizer. This year, I have resolved to reduce my kitchen waste by 10%. To do that, I have started storing the tea leaves after we have made our tea. I keep them in a closed yoghurt can. I also store the pulp that is left after we make fruit juice. Once every week I empty the can in the fertilizer maker. That keeps my plants happy and kitchen produces lesser waste.
  2. I use newspaper ads to line my shelves. I never buy any special paper from market.
  3. My husband drops and picks me up at the office. My office is on his route so we dont have to think of another vehicle.
  4. I prepare juices and smoothies at home. I dont know whether it saves me money or not, but I do know that its the purest and freshest form of juice we can have.
  5. We either have our meals at home, or take lunch bags to our offices. This saves a bunch of money, and suits the health-conscious lifestyle we follow.
  6. We both bike or jog on a trail around our place, instead of going to a gym.
  7. We are vegetarian by religion. I never bothered to calculate, but I guess its a big moneysaver too.
  8. We never use paper plates or any other disposable utensils.
  9. We watch most of the movies at home, online. I paid about 20$ within the last year on online movie subscriptions. We have just gone to the theatre once, and it cost us 18$.
  10. I use cloth towels in the kitchen instead of paper ones. About 7-10 of them get dirty per week. I just toss them into the laundary and they are ready to use.

I am constantly on the lookout for ideas that may save us more. And with the BIG purchase coming up next I could use every penny I can save. What are your ideas, what more do you think we can do to make that balancesheet look better. Do leave a comment for me.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Looks like you have some good ideas. What about the library? Could you borrow movies from there to save on online subscription costs?